Deadly Jargums Project
Funded by the NSW Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ), Deadly Connections Youth Frontiers Project (YF) provides a holistic, culturally responsive mentoring service for Aboriginal children and young people aged 10 to 17 years who are involved, or are at risk of involvement, with the youth justice and/or child protection system/s.
Youth Frontiers will be delivered by our Aboriginal Youth Mentors. Our mentors are from the communities in which we provide services. All mentors have many years of experience living and working within the City of Sydney areas, with deep connection to community and culture. Our mentors are very passionate about supporting Aboriginal children and young people by providing opportunities for diversion, healing, promoting and role-modelling positive lifestyle behaviours as well as identifying and supporting the strengths of program participants.
Deadly Connections mentors, work to support children and young people on an individual level, but also work to positively disrupt systemic issues through individual and systemic advocacy.
YF mentors will support program participants to identify and set goals, strengthen connection to culture which serves as a protective factor, develop pro social skills, access pro-social activities, engage with external services and develop life skills.
YF will provide both individual and group mentoring activities to;
- Reduce and minimise contact with the justice/child protection system/s
- Build positive life skills and experience
- Address barriers to participation
- Improve health and wellness
- Improve school/employment engagement and participation
- Strengthen connection to culture, identity, family and community
- Improve life outcomes through mentoring support, positive learning and social engagement activities
- Promote healthy lifestyle behaviours and increasing social skills through role modelling and opportunities
- Provide holistic, wrap around support for families of program participants
- Working closely with individuals to listen and identify strengths and goals to work towards and promote self-determination.
Youth Frontiers is available to:
- Aboriginal children or young people
- Aged 10 to 17 years
- Involved or at risk of involvement with the youth justice or child protection system/s
- Living in or connection to the City of Sydney LGA.
ACCESS TO THE PROGRAM
Referrals can be made via Deadly Connections website by govt, non govt agencies/staff, family, community members and Elders, Courts, Police, Schools, Youth Justice centres and anybody involved in supporting the child/young person being referred.
If you would like to find out more about Deadly Connections Youth Frontiers Program, contact the Deadly Connections team on 1800 487 662 or email firstname.lastname@example.org