Deadly Jargums Project
Deadly Futures School Suspension program.
Deadly Futures offers fun, creative, educational, and cultural activities for Aboriginal young people who have been suspended, at risk of suspension or disengaged from school. This is a new program which will be delivered three days per week during the school term to high school students, particularly those who are involved or at risk of involvement with the justice and/or child protection system/s.
The main goals of the Deadly Futures project are to;
- Strengthen Aboriginal young people’s connection to culture
- Improve school engagement
- Develop literacy/numeracy skills
- Disrupt the school to prison pipeline
- Provide accessible, fun, pro social activities to the Aboriginal participants
- Provide mentoring
- Provide links to support for children and their families
- Drug and alcohol information and education including risks associated with substance abuse
- An Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander high school student
- Living in or connected to the Inner West or City of Sydney LGAs or willing to travel to Marrickville
- Suspended or disengaged or at risk of suspension from school